Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is a natural mineral, composed of diatoms, and typically used as a filter aid in various industrial applications. As an antiblock, DE is generally calcined to alter its structure. DE is used in film applications without any surface treatment and is very abrasive, having a Mohs mineral hardness of 6. By comparison, talc, the softest mineral, is a 1.
Specialty Minerals Antiblocks To Replace Diatomaceous Earth
Specialty Minerals Inc. (SMI) Polybloc® talc antiblock and Optibloc® 25 clarity antiblock are both excellent candidates for replacing DE in plastic films to achieve better performance with less equipment wear. Polybloc® talc antiblock is recommended where economical antiblocking efficiency is important along with reduced equipment wear. Optibloc® 25 clarity antiblock is recommended when high clarity and low haze are required along with reduced equipment wear.
See the following examples of replacement of diatomaceous earth with SMI talc-based antiblocks:
Polybloc® talc antiblock replacing DE in a 2 M.I. LLDPE
Polybloc® talc antiblock replacing DE in a 2 M.I. LDPE
Polybloc® talc antiblock replacing DE in a 3% EVA LDPE
Optibloc® 25 clarity antiblock replacing DE in 1.0 M.I. LLDPE
Optibloc® 25 clarity antiblock replacing DE in 0.8 M.I. LDPE
View additional examples of replacing diatomaceous earth with SMI antiblock talcs by clicking here. Click here to download an introduction to antiblocks and SMI talc-based antiblocks in LLDPE films.
- Specialty Minerals antiblocks
- What is an antiblock?
- Selecting a talc-based antiblock
- Formulating High Performance LLDPE Blown Films With Optibloc® High Clarity Antiblocks – Introduction to antiblocks – a downloadable Specialty Minerals publication.
- Diatomaceous earth replacement study
- Replacing synthetic silica with SMI talc-based antiblocks
- Economical Specialty Minerals talc antiblocks
- SMI antiblocks for low-polymer process aid interaction
- Reduced coefficient of friction with surface-treated talc antiblocks
- Blown Film Basics
- Cast Film Basics
- Specialty Minerals Antiblock Technical Service Support
- What is Talc?
- Download technical data sheets for Specialty Minerals products
- Request a sample
- Specialty Minerals Publications on talc-based antiblocks: Downloadable papers by Specialty Minerals on talc-based antiblocks and their applications.
- About Specialty Minerals Inc.
- Specialty Minerals Plant Locations and Profiles
- Quality and ISO at Specialty Minerals