Barium sulfate, known as barytes or barite, is a cost-effective functional additive for plastics. Besides being a filler for reinforcement and superior surface finish, the barite can impart radiation shielding, opacity, weight, and sound deadening qualities to the plastic.
Barytes / Barite in Plastics
Barite can be incorporated into a number of resin systems, including but not limited to polypropylene, polyesters, and polyurethanes. Within these and other polymers, the barite can provide the following:
- Adding weight to unsaturated polyesters
- Sound deadening in automotive plastics
- Opacity and high quality surface finish in automotive and consumer plastics
- Adding weight to foam carpet backing
- Radiation shielding in medical plastics applications
Specialty Minerals Barytes for Plastics
Specialty Minerals manufactures a series of Baricron™ barite products for plastic applications. Baricron barites are manufactured in the Mount Vernon, Indiana Performance Minerals plant. The white Baricron™ barite series of products has a range of particle sizes to chose from: 1.5 to 8 microns median particle sizes.
- Specialty applications for SMI minerals
- SMI minerals for Plastics
- SMI minerals for reinforced polyolefins
- SMI minerals for unsaturated polyesters
- SMI minerals used in Automotive Parts
- SMI minerals used in Housing and Construction Materials
- About Specialty Minerals Inc.
- Specialty Minerals Plant Locations and Profiles
- What is Barytes/Barite?