Today’s purchaser of cosmetics, toiletries and personal protection products demand elegant and effective formulations. Specialty Minerals Inc. (SMI) talcs, precipitated calcium carbonates (PCCs) and ground calcium carbonates (GCCs) can help produce the kinds of personal care products your customers want.
Minerals from SMI can play a key role in preparing excellent:
- Toothpastes, both general purpose and special function
- Body, baby, dusting and medicated powders
- Gels, creams and lotions
- Cosmetics—pressed and loose face powders and eye shadows
- Cosmetics—foundations and other liquid preparations
- Solid stick deodorants
- Dry shampoos
Click on one of these uses to read more about formulating them with a Specialty Minerals product.
SMI Minerals for Personal Care Products
Specialty Minerals talcs, precipitated calcium carbonates and ground calcium carbonates can all play roles in formulating outstanding cosmetics, toiletries and other products for daily use.
SMI Talcs For Cosmetics and Toiletries
Three ranges of USP and cosmetic talcs are manufactured by SMI for cosmetics and other consumer products.
- MicroTalc® USP and Bacteria Controlled Talcs—Two of the three particle sized grades, MP 60-30 at 5.5 microns and MP 98-30 at 6.5 microns are used in personal care applications. These MicroTalc products are made at Barretts, Montana, using high quality talc (magnesium silicate) from SMI’s mine. These talcs are certified to meet all of the United States Pharmacopeia (USP) requirements for chemical and microbiological purity. They additionally conform to the requirements of the Cosmetic Manufacturers Association (CTFA) for maximum limits on arsenic, lead and heavy metals.
- MicroTalc® BP 210 Body Powder Talc is a larger, 12 micron sized particle, also made at Barretts. Its controlled particle size, particle size distribution and high bulk density makes high speed packaging of body and other loose powders easier, and minimizes the subsequent settling in the package due to air entrapped during packaging. It meets the Cosmetic Manufacturers Limits on arsenic, lead and heavy metals.
- UltraTalc® USP Cosmetic Talcs are a family of four products, which range in size from 2.5 to 16 microns. As with the MicroTalc products, the larger members of this family are used in personal care products. They are USP certified, and consistently meet the strict limits on microbiological counts required by the USP—100 cfu (colony forming units). The UltraTalc products also meet all of the chemical requirements of the Cosmetic Manufacturers Association (CTFA). They are manufactured in Mount Vernon, Indiana.
Use the link below to download data sheets for these talc products.
SMI Precipitated Calcium Carbonates For Personal Care Products
Precipitated calcium carbonates, which are excellent in personal care product applications, are made in the U.S. and the U.K.
- ViCALity® PCCs—eight precipitated calcium carbonates, with various shapes, and ranging from 0.7 microns to 12 microns in size, add various functionalities to cosmetic and toiletry products, including toothpastes, creams and lotions, cosmetics, powders, condoms and rubber gloves. They are manufactured in the U.S. and meet USP requirements.
- Sturcal™ and Calopake™ PCCs—four precipitated calcium carbonates, made in the U.K., meet EP, BP and USP. These are 1.9 to 6 microns in size, and are of the needle-shaped, higher surface area types.
Use the link below to download data sheets for these PCCs.
SMI Ground Calcium Carbonates For Personal Care Products
The Food Grade Vicron® ground limestones, manufactured in Adams, Massachusetts, are used in general purpose toothpastes as an abrasive and filler. The five products range in particle size from 3.5 to 17 microns. Food Grade Vicron GCCs meet the requirements for limestones of the Food Chemical Codex, and are certified as Kosher. Use the link below to download the data sheet for these products.
- SMI minerals for toothpaste
- SMI minerals used in body, baby, dusting and medicated powders
- SMI minerals used in liquid and powdered cosmetics, stick deodorants and dry shampoos
- SMI minerals used in consumer products - See the many products you use everyday that contain SMI minerals
- Downloadable technical data sheets for SMI products
- SMI Quality: Good Manufacturing Practices and Kosher Certification
- What is Talc? A minerals introductory page
- What is Precipitated Calcium Carbonate (PCC)? A minerals introductory page
- What is PCC for Healthcare? A downloadable information sheet
- What is Limestone / Ground Calcium Carbonate (GCC)? A minerals introductory page
- Osteoporosis: Anyone Can Be At Risk—Even You! A downloadable information sheet
- Healthcare Exhibitions - Where we are participating, and where you can talk to SMI staff about your formulations.
- Specialty Minerals Healthcare Publications - Downloadable papers on food, nutritional supplements and pharmaceuticals
- Useful cosmetics, toiletries and personal care websites