Our lives are touched daily by countless products made with some kind of paint or coating. These products are on the walls of our houses, on the surfaces of appliances and furniture, on our children’s bikes and wagons, on the cars we drive to work, the bridges we drive over, the ships that may have brought us those cars in the first place, on the file cabinets in our offices, and on machinery and storage tanks in our factories.
Specialty Minerals Inc.’s (SMI’s) filler and extender pigments help make these coatings bright, functional, and durable.
Using Specialty Minerals Products in Paints and Coatings
Many types of coatings benefit from using a SMI mineral filler and extender in its formulation—architectural or decorative, industrial, and the range of specialty coatings. Click on one of the following categories to read about the functions of SMI products in these paints:
- Architectural / Decorative Coatings– interior, exterior and wood stains.
- Industrial Coatings including automotive OEM and powder coatings.
- Specialty Coatings including maintenance, marine, traffic or road marking, automobile refinishing, and aerosol paints.
Specialty Minerals Minerals for Paints
SMI manufactures ground calcium carbonates (GCCs, also called ground limestones), talcs and precipitated calcium carbonates (PCCs) in its U.S., U.K. and Brazil plants for use in coatings. Click on one of the following mineral names to read more about SMI products:
- Minerals Technologies Launches New Products for Application in Paints and Coatings
- Minerals Technologies Inc. Announces New Talc Products for Paints and Coatings
- Mineral Additives for Paints and Coatings (brochure)
- What is Ground Calcium Carbonate (GCC) / Limestone?
- What is Precipitated Calcium Carbonate?
- What is Nano Precipitated Calcium Carbonate (PCC)?
- What is Talc?
- About Specialty Minerals Inc.
- Specialty Minerals plant locations and profiles
- Quality and ISO at Specialty Minerals
- Download technical data sheets for Specialty Minerals products
- Request a sample
- Useful Links for Specialty Applications of SMI minerals– other websites with information on minerals, industry associations, and applications for performance minerals products.