Toothpaste, chewing gum, and pet foods are among the applications for calcium carbonates that meet the limestone requirements of the Food Chemical Codex (FCC). Specialty Minerals Inc. (SMI) produces the Vicron® FG range of high-quality, food grade ground limestones for cases where the higher requirements of the USP and FCC for calcium carbonate, and the lead limitations of California Proposition 65, do not need to be met. Typically this line of products is used in food manufacture (as additives or fortifiers, or in processing) and in personal care products.
The Vicron® FG series of food grade limestones are high-quality, white, finely ground calcium carbonates (GCCs), ranging in size from 3.5 to 17.0 microns. They are manufactured in SMI’s Adams, Massachusetts plant, which is registered with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as a Drug Manufacturing Facility, and is AIB (American Institute of Baking) certified. Products made at Adams are also Kosher certified. The Adams plant itself is ISO 9001 certified, and follows Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) in the production of its food and health grades.
Click here to download the data sheet for food grade Vicron® ground limestone.
Applications For Specialty Minerals Food Grade Vicron® Ground Limestones
Among the major applications for the food grade limestones are:
- Chewing gum masticating and dusting agent
- Animal and pet food calcium fortification: dry kibble, wet canned and moist pouch forms
- Toothpaste abrasive
- Frosting and Confectionery
- Food processing, water treatment or material handling aid
Click on one of the highlighted applications to learn more about SMI’s calcium carbonates in that application, and the specific Food Grade Vicron® ground limestone recommended.
FCC Calcium Carbonate vs. FCC Limestone
In the United States Food Chemicals Codex (FCC), which lists the requirements for materials used in foods, there are two separate listings for ingredients based on the chemical calcium carbonate. These are FCC calcium carbonate and FCC limestone. Purity requirements differ for the two, primarily in the level of calcium carbonate content required, and in the acid-insoluble components allowed.
If your food application either requires the use of a FCC calcium carbonate rather than an FCC limestone, or comes under the lead restrictions of California Proposition 65, and you want to use a ground calcium carbonate (GCC), choose SMI’s ViCALity® GF GCC. Click here to learn more about this product.
SMI also manufactures over 20 high-purity food and pharmaceutical grade precipitated calcium carbonates (PCCs). Click here to read more about them.
- SMI minerals in food fortification uses
- SMI minerals in chewing gum and confectionary
- SMI minerals in pet foods
- SMI minerals in toothpastes
- Specialty Minerals calcium carbonates for food, nutritional supplements, pharmaceuticals and personal care products
- Choosing the right grade of Specialty Minerals calcium carbonate for consumer products.
- ViCALity® GF GCC for food
- Useful information for formulators: Downloadable information sheets on formulating with calcium carbonate, the effect of particle size and shape in a product, high bioavailability of calcium carbonate, California Proposition 65 lead limits, and calcium carbonate lead levels.
- California Proposition 65 lead regulations
- U.S. Recommended Daily Intake (RDI) for Calcium
- Osteoporosis: Anyone Can Be At Risk – Even You! A downloadable information sheet
- SMI minerals in consumer products: See the products you use every day—foods, nutritional supplements, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, toiletries, and other personal-care items—that use Specialty Minerals talcs and calcium carbonates.
- What is Ground Calcium Carbonate (GCC) / Limestone?
- Download technical data sheets and MSDS for Specialty Minerals products
- Request a sample
- About Specialty Minerals Inc.
- Specialty Minerals plant profiles: Adams
- Quality and ISO at Specialty Minerals