Calcium carbonate and dolomite are suited to a wide variety of agricultural applications, including pH control, fertilizer conditioners and fillers, and animal feed formulations. Architectural and landscape uses include decorative stone for landscaping, golf course applications, and athletic-field line marking.
Agricultural requirements for crop production target specific pH ranges for soil to optimize production, reduce blossom end rot on tomatoes, and facilitate development of mushroom spawns. Soil-application products can be designed for field spreading or can be pulverized for drip irrigation use.
Calcium carbonate also is important in animal nutrition. Calcium supplements for cattle and other livestock play a key role in bone growth and strength as well as in general animal health. Poultry require grit in the gizzard to assist with digestion and strengthen shells for proper egg production. Calcium carbonate is also used as a fortifier in pet foods and animal nutritional supplements.
Architectural applications include premium trap sand for golf courses and beautiful, white crushed limestone and dolomite for decorative rock and landscaping.
Chemical purity, brightness, and consistency play a major role in the end value for the application. Specialty Minerals Inc. (SMI) is well positioned to supply you with our standard products or work with you to develop new products tailored for your applications.
Agricultural Products With SMI Minerals
SMI offers ground calcium carbonates (GCCs) and dolomites with a wide range of applications such as:
- Agriculture – Crops and Grass
- Decorative Stone and Field Marking
- Golf Courses
- Animal Feed
- Highway Paving
Click on one of these applications to learn more about how SMI minerals can assist with your agricultural or architectural applications.
Specialty Minerals Products for Agricultural Applications
SMI supplies crushed, screened, ground and pulverized limestone and dolomite products from our quarries in Adams, Massachusetts; Canaan, Connecticut; and Lucerne Valley, California.
- SMI Eastern Limestone – high brightness GCC also called ground limestone, manufactured in sizes ranging from 1” decorative stone down to 3 micron powder for water irrigation applications. Adams, Massachusetts is the location of the mine and plant.
- SMI Eastern Dolomite – ground and screened dolomites (calcium magnesium carbonates) from 4 mesh to 325 mesh from a mine and plant in Canaan, Connecticut.
- SMI Western Limestone – high-brightness GCCs, from 1” decorative stone to 3 micron powder for water irrigation applications. Lucerne Valley, California is the site of the mine and plant.
Click on a product–location name to read more about the high-quality SMI carbonates for agriculture, landscaping, and highway use.
- SMI minerals for Agriculture
- SMI minerals for Decorative Stone and Field Marking
- SMI minerals for Golf Courses
- SMI minerals for Animal Feed
- SMI minerals for Highway Paving
- Eastern limestones and dolomites and western limestones from Specialty Minerals
- Downloadable technical data sheets for SMI minerals
- Request a sample
- Tell us about a special product you need
- What is Dolomite? - a mineral introductory webpage
- What is Ground Calcium Carbonate (GCC)? - a minerals introductory webpage
- Specialty Minerals plant profiles: Adams, Canaan, Lucerne Valley
- About Specialty Minerals Inc.
- ISO and Quality at Specialty Minerals
- Useful agricultural websites