In more than 60 plants around the world, Specialty Minerals Inc. (SMI) manufactures precipitated calcium carbonate (PCC), ground calcium carbonate (GCC) or limestone, talc, dolomite and lime.
These products contribute functionality and high performance to a wide range of industries: paper, plastics, paint and coatings, building products, adhesives and sealants, ink, ceramics, food, nutritional supplements, pharmaceuticals, personal care products, agriculture and landscaping. Click on one of the links below to learn more about these uses.
The following are pages that will give you a general introduction to the minerals that we manufacture. They describe what they are, how they are formed, what unique properties they have, how these properties suit them for the applications they are used in, and finally, some information about the kinds of Specialty Minerals products made from these minerals.
- What is Dolomite?
- What is Ground Calcium Carbonate (GCC) or Limestone?
- What is Lime or Quicklime?
- What is Precipitated Calcium Carbonate (PCC)?
- What is Nano Precipitated Calcium Carbonate?
- What is Talc?
Applications for SMI Minerals
These are pages that will show you where and how these minerals are used:
- SMI paper and paper board PCC applications
- Why are minerals used in paper?
- Specialty (non-paper) applications for SMI products
- SMI products for adhesives and sealants
- SMI products for building products
- SMI products for food and nutritional supplements
- SMI products for ink
- SMI products for paint and coatings
- SMI products for plastics
- SMI minerals used in automotive components
- SMI minerals used in consumer products
- SMI minerals used in housing and construction